Letting your property

Gaining our consent to let

If your circumstances change and you need to temporarily let out your home, we’re here to help. Simply call us* and ask about a Consent to Let agreement.

Getting our consent to let your property will allow you to let your home for up to 12 months. If you want to let your home for a longer than a year, you may want to consider applying for a Buy to Let mortgage instead.

It's essential to get our permission before letting your home. We will need to assess your new circumstances as this is an important change in the terms of your mortgage.

Please make sure you follow the steps below to ensure you stay in line with your mortgage conditions.

How do I gain consent?

1. Please call us* - We’ll need to speak with you over the phone as this is a material change to your mortgage.

2. After the call we'll post a Letting Pack to you. Please read this document carefully and fill in the Letting Declaration. You will then need to post the completed Letting Declaration back to us with any other requested documents.

3. If everything is okay with your application, you’ll receive a confirmation letter through the post, along with the details of your new monthly payment terms (which could increase). Please be aware that there may be fees and charges that apply depending on your individual circumstances.

What happens next?

The initial consent to let period will last for 6 months. If you need to let for longer than this, you can apply for consent to be renewed once for a further 6 months. This gives you a maximum 12 month agreement.

Once you move back into your property, you should contact our Mortgage Services team as soon as possible to let us know.

If you wish to continue letting your home, you may want to consider applying for a Buy to Let mortgage. Get in touch* and we'll be happy to tell you more.


What are the fees associated with getting consent to let?

Depending on your circumstances, you may need to pay a one-time Consent to Let fee of £85, which can either be added on to your mortgage balance or paid by debit card over the telephone. You may also be charged a higher interest rate, in line with your mortgage conditions.

If I am in the armed forced or tied employment, will I be charged any fees?

No. We do not charge those working for the armed forces for consent. The same applies for anybody else who is required to live in work accommodation as part of their job.

Does my mortgage need to be in place for a certain period before I can apply for consent to let?

There are no restrictions on how long you need to have held your mortgage with us, or resided in the property, before you can apply for consent.

Do I need to earn a certain minimum income if I wish to get consent to let?

No, however we will consider certain details such as your income to decide whether we believe your mortgage will remain affordable to you due to your new circumstances.

Are there any limits on the types of tenancies you allow?

As long as there is an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) in place, there are no restrictions set on the number of tenants allowed. All other restrictions, such as the prohibition of sub-letting, are outlined in the Letting Pack.